Friday, April 17, 2015

Week 14: Winding Down

           After a much needed relaxing weekend, I was anxious to finish up my second to last week at Elizabethtown! The week was another busy one, a common theme I have discovered with each week that passes. Between regional CDE sign ups, speaking contests, officer elections, and lots of fun lessons planned, it was definitely a good week! On Monday, students in my ag mechanics class finished up the lawn mower service project. 27 lawn mowers later and we were finished! I think the students enjoyed the project just as much as I did. I learned a lot from the project while I also realized how much I did actually know and remember about small gas engines. That was a great feeling! In aquatics, I taught a lesson on panfish species found in Pennsylvania. Students worked to identify the 14 species while completing a worksheet and using identification posters. In intro to agribusiness, I began a new unit and taught a lesson on income statements. Students completed an article as well as another assignment to go along with information I taught them in class. I also had the chance to review speeches for the regional speaking contest that will be held Thursday. This was my favorite contest as an FFA member and I was excited to assist with the speeches!

            On Tuesday, I gave back ag mechanics to Mr. Anderson. Students were back in the classroom and learned more about internal combustion engines and began learning about engine parts. In aquatic resources, I took a risk and decided to give an idea I came up with a try. I wanted students to create a dichotomous key of their own as a way to identify and learn the 14 species of panfish found in Pennsylvania. At first, students complained that they didn’t know how to create a dichotomous key, moaned and groaned about how hard the assignment was, and expressed how they didn’t want to complete the assignment. By the end of the block, students turned in some awesome dichotomous keys! They seemed more interested once they figured out a system that worked. I was very proud of them for their attempts and hard work. I also felt proud for taking a risk and was pleased with how the assignment turned out. In ag business, I taught a lesson on cash flow statements. Students completed an activity related to cash flow statements with current agribusinesses.

            Wednesday in aquatics, students took a quiz on panfish species found in Pennsylvania. I also introduced the migratory and miscellaneous fish species. This is the last group of fish that students will have to identify. In into to agribusiness, I taught a lesson on balance sheets, assets, and liabilities. Students completed examples of balance sheets, including one from the PA FFA record book worksheets. On Thursday, Mr. Anderson and I attended the regional speaking contests in Lebanon County. We had one creed speaker and two extemporaneous speakers. None of the speakers placed but I was still proud of their confidence and willingness to try something new! I assisted with parliamentary procedure judging, something I haven’t done before. I caught on fairly quickly and actually enjoyed myself! Students in aquatics completed two worksheets relating to migratory and miscellaneous PA fish while I was gone. In into to agribusiness, students completed a worksheet related to credit. They also read an article related to American agriculture and agribusiness and wrote a reflective essay about the article.

            Friday hit me that I only had a week left at Elizabethtown. In seven short days, my time with these students would be over. In aquatic resources, students took their final PA fish ID quiz. I then introduced the reptile and amphibian section of the unit with an introductory worksheet. In intro to agribusiness, students spent just about the entire duration of the block period in the greenhouse watering plants, adding fertilizer, and picking buds on the plants. Next week, I will finish teaching both classes. In aquatics, we will continue with reptiles and amphibians. Our stocking trip will be held on Wednesday and students are excited for the field trip! In intro to agribusiness, we will continue with personal finance and start talking about budgets.

            As I reflect on the week and look ahead to my final week, I realize how upset I am. I cannot believe how fast student teaching has gone. As my students realize how little time I have with them, they express their sadness as well. This makes me feel good in a way; I feel like I have touched their lives in some way. I realize that I have reached out and impacted more students than I thought. I also realize how these students, and Mr. Anderson, have impacted me more than I ever would have thought. While next week will definitely be upsetting, I plan to make the most out of my last five days with these students!

1 comment:

  1. Student teaching does go quickly, and it is actually a good thing that you will miss the students! I am glad to see that you realized that you knew more about engines than you thought. I am sure this is not the only content area that you know more about than what you think😄. Thanks again for the pictures. I always enjoy seeing the students in action.

    ReplyDelete