Thursday, April 2, 2015

Visiting a Dairy Farm: SAE Visit #2!

         On Wednesday April 1st, 2015, I completed my second SAE visit with Mr. Anderson. We visited Carmen Becker at his family’s dairy farm in Elizabethtown.  Carmen is a junior at Elizabethtown and is the treasurer on this year’s FFA officer team. After discussion with Mr. Anderson about a student to visit, he suggested we visit Carmen to observe an entrepreneurship SAE. I spoke with Carmen a week ago about a potential visit. After talking with his family, he informed us that Wednesday April 1st would best fit their schedule.

                 Upon arriving to Carmen’s farm, it was evident that he and his family were very busy! Aside from milking 90 Holstein cows, with a total of 150 animals on the farm, there was a lot of updating and renovation occurring on the farm. A new manure pit was recently installed which holds up to 800,000 gallons of manure. The pit would have to be emptied every 6 months, according to Carmen. Workers were there as we visited, constructing a new heifer and dry cow barn. Carmen also informed us of other renovations that his family was planning in the coming months including updating barns and replacing roofs. Carmen assists with milking cows, feeding, spraying, planting, and harvesting crops. The Becker's farm about 200 acres total. Carmen also owns his own tractor. His grandfather purchased the farm in the 1950’s. and it has remained in his family ever since. His grandfather and father have a partnership on the farm. Once he graduates high school, Carmen plans to return to the farm.

            After viewing Carmen’s family farm and his SAE project, I would rate the program as excellent. I was very impressed with Carmen’s work ethic and dedication to his family’s farm. He showed great interest in taking over the farm one day; which I think is truly awesome! I was familiar with dairy farms since I have worked on one in my hometown. However, it is always interesting to me to see how other dairy farms are set up and operate. Carmen’s family milks at 4am and 4pm, another way that Carmen demonstrated a strong work ethic. One thing that stood out of me about this entrepreneurship project was the fact that Carmen won an SAE grant this past year through National FFA for $1000. He purchased three calf hutches with the grant.

            One recommendation I suggested to Carmen is to continue his involvement with FFA. I encouraged him to maintain his records and earn his Keystone Degree next year as a senior. If he wanted, Carmen could even apply for his American Degree. He has put in the time and money and would definitely be able to qualify! Overall, Carmen has a great SAE project and definitely has support from his family. Carmen is just as passionate and dedicated to agriculture and farming as his family. I am excited to get to know Carmen more and work with him in class during my last few weeks here at Elizabethtown!

No comments:

Post a Comment