Thursday, April 23, 2015

Teacher DIY Development Project

             For my Teacher DIY project, I decided to incorporate forensic chemistry concepts into my aquatic resources class. Several of my students have taken the forensics chemistry course at Elizabethtown with Mr. Scott Baylor. I have heard great things about this course and have overhead my students talking about it several times. I have taken part in a wildlife forensics workshop with the Pennsylvania Game Commission and decided to combine principles I learned in the workshop into my aquatic resources class with the assistance of Mr. Baylor.

            After explaining my idea to my cooperating teacher Mr. Anderson as well as my university supervisor Dr. Ewing, I received approval of my initial idea. Per the assignment, I was required to write a formal proposal outlining my idea, how I would carry out the lesson, how I would receive the professional development component, and how I would evaluate the project. In order to gain a better understanding of forensic chemistry and determine how I could work some of its principles into my aquatics class, I contacted Mr. Baylor in early February and explained my idea. I had already completed my science classroom observation with Mr. Baylor in January. I observed his forensic chemistry course in January which sparked my interest in utilizing forensics in my one of my classes.

            I met with Mr. Baylor in early April during a teacher in-service day. We met in his room and discussed my project for an hour and a half. I refreshed Mr. Baylor’s memory of my ideas and listened as he talked me through examples of things he has done and showed me some possible resources I could use. He provided me with several handouts, worksheets, ink pads, and published book resources to utilize. I left the meeting feeling very confident in how I would finalize my forensics lesson. With Mr. Baylor’s assistance, my final lesson would be as follows:

·         Set up scenario that several fish in the tanks in the aquatics lab have suddenly died
·         Determine what was used to kill the fish (bleach)
·         Collect fingerprints of possible suspects
·         Create handout with information about possible subjects
·         Provide clues for student use (fingerprints on bleach bottle, jacket, etc.)
·         Provide water testing supplies for students to test contaminated water
·         Allow students to determine suspect, motive, and means
·         Summarize lesson with the creation of a newspaper article by students

            Once I had the majority of my lesson created, the other details came easily. The day before the lesson, I made sure I had all necessary materials copied and the crime scene was set up. The day of the lesson, I put the bleach into water samples I collected from the tanks. I had the water testing kits displayed at the front of the classroom, as well as pieces of evidence and fingerprints. I explained to students that 8 of the fish died in the fish tanks and these pieces of evidence were found in the lab. As Mr. Baylor suggested, I introduced the lesson as a mystery and made it as realistic as possible. Students actually believed that fish died and were very engaged in the lesson!

            Reflecting on the lesson and the entire professional development process, I have gained so much growth in presenting inquiry, tying forensics concepts into natural resources, and maintaining student interest throughout a lesson. Due to the mixed ability of my students, I wanted to keep the mystery solvable. I didn’t want to give students too much information and make it easy but I also didn’t want it to be too difficult that they would give up easily. If I were doing this again, I would make sure to choose a different individual as the criminal; choosing myself was too easy for students to figure out. I would also provide students a copy of the fingerprints I collected rather than having one copy. This was also a suggestion for improvement by Mr. Baylor. I met with him after the lesson to debrief, talk about what worked well, and ask for suggestions if I were to carry out this lesson again. He thought I did a great job presenting the lesson and said I worked will to accommodate all learners. He suggested I provide more detailed descriptions and have more sources of possible evidence Overall, I thought this was a great way for me to gain a deeper understanding of science and technology principles and how they can be used in an agricultural classroom. It also allowed me to collaborate with a professional in the field and expand my knowledge of forensics. This was a great activity and with some modification, it will be a great lesson to utilize in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment