Thursday, April 2, 2015

Week 12: Excitement for Easter Break!

            I started off week 12 feeling very tired, I could not fall asleep Sunday night for some unknown reason! This week was a short week with no school on Friday for the observation of Good Friday. On Monday in ag mechanics, students completed a review guide in class for the welding unit. In aquatics, I introduced fish identification and started with coldwater fish. I utilized resources from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission to assist me with this. Students completed a worksheet in which they had to describe the 12 different species of fish in great detail to help them identify the fish. Students then completed a worksheet in class which I went over at the end. We had a non-emergency shelter in place during this class which caused class to run a half hour later than normal. This was an instance that I was not prepared for but my students and I made the most of it! In intro to agribusiness, I taught a lesson about risk in agribusiness. Students then completed an in class project relating to risk and an agricultural product of their choosing.
 

            On Tuesday, I was feeling much more refreshed. Students in ag mechanics took the welding unit exam. Afterwards, they turned in their c-clamps to be graded. In aquatic resources, I continued teaching about coldwater fish. Students completed a worksheet in class which I went over with them once they were finished. Afterwards, students completed  a project where they had to select a coldwater species of fish, draw a picture of its habitat, provide a description of its habitat, and then draw a picture of the fish. In intro to agribusiness, I taught a lesson about middlemen in agribusiness. Students read an article and answered questions about the local farming/CSA movement and how it leaves out the middlemen. Afterwards, students had an in class debate about the necessity of the middleman in agriculture. I think I enjoyed this activity much more than the students!

            Dr. Ewing came to visit on Wednesday. I had three awesome lessons planned and I think all of them went well! In ag mechanics, I taught an introductory lesson on small gas engines, particularly four stroke and two stroke engines. I gave students a pre-test to see how much they knew about small gas engine operation. I was surprised at how little they actually knew, despite how much they talk about trucks and engines! After I taught the lesson, students used an iPad to answer questions relating to the information covered in class. In aquatic resources, I changed things up a bit and completed an inquiry lesson on why native Brook Trout populations are declining in Pennsylvania. The class seemed to struggle with the higher level thinking and just wanted me to tell them the answers; they didn’t like me asking thought provoking questions! In intro to ag business, students completed an introductory worksheet on what they thought goes into a marketing plan. This lead into a short lesson on marketing plans. Students then created a marketing plan on a product of their choice. I think students enjoyed the freedom they had with this project and this particular class seemed to handle the inquiry style lesson well!

            By Thursday, everyone was ready for Easter Break. Today was also the infamous senior skip day so my classes were fairly empty! In ag mechanics, students began the annual lawn mower service project. Students got into four groups of four and each worked on a lawn mower. Students tightened the spark plug gap, changed the oil, cleaned the air filter, and sharpened the blades. The students seemed to enjoy the activity which is good for them because we have 27 lawn mowers total! In aquatics, 8 out of the 21 students were present. These students took the quiz on PA coldwater fish and then cleaned the tanks and clatifier in the aquatics lab. In intro to agribusiness, 6 out of 14 students were there. We cleaned up the greenhouse, transplanted the tomatoes, watered the geraniums, and did some landscape planning for the courtyard outside of the ag shop.

            This week was a short week but busy nonetheless. I feel like I am connecting more with some of my students and it has been awesome! Looking back, this week has also reiterated the point that I need to think on my feet and be able to be flexible! I feel like I have made a good deal of improvement since the beginning of student teaching and hope to continue to improve in my last three weeks. As student teaching ends and graduation draws closer, I am also on the job hunt. I have applied and interviewed at several places. I know that my dream job is out there, I just have to keep searching. Reflecting upon the week, it is safe to say that I finally figured out what I am supposed to do in life…teach agriculture.


1 comment:

  1. Nice description of the week. Be sure to include deeper reflection at times. For instance? I agree that you had some great lessons yesterday, but be sure explain what made them great. Otherwise, I always look forward to reading your blog to see what learning activities you have planned.

    ReplyDelete