Friday, March 6, 2015

Week 8: More Snow...Is It Spring Yet?!

             I started off week 8 of student teaching feeling very refreshed and recharged…partly due to the two hour delay Elizabethtown had Monday morning. I jumped right back into the hustle and bustle, ready to take on the busy week. I picked up my third and final class today and am now teaching a full load of classes! In ag mechanics today, students were introduced to T-Joints. After an explanation in the classroom, students received a few demonstrations in the shop. In aquatics, students presented posters they worked on Friday. Afterwards, I taught a lesson on groundwater and aquifers. Students then created vocab notecards and then completed a study guide for the in class quiz tomorrow. In my agribusiness course, we took care of the plants in the greenhouse and had a brief introduction of the upcoming unit. If today was a peek at what the upcoming week will hold, I know it’s going to be a busy one!


            On Tuesday, we ended up getting out at 1pm due to inclement weather. I did not get to teach intro to agribusiness but I knew I would pick it up the following day! I had a productive prep period and prepared lessons for the rest of the week. In agricultural mechanics, students practiced welding T-joints. I practiced as well and showed improvement at the end of the period. After a shortened lunch to accommodate the early dismissal, my third period aquatic resources class was shortened as well. Students took a quiz on water quality up to this point to check for understanding. I taught my lesson on several of the water quality components we will be testing for throughout the remainder of the week. Students completed a current event article, fed the fish, and were dismissed at 1pm!

            On Wednesday, Elizabethtown had another two hour delay. The schedule was a little backwards: 1st block, 2nd block, 4th block, and then 3rd block. This was to allow 4th block to “catch up” with the other periods because of so many early dismissals and two hour delays. In second block, students continued welding their lap welds. In fourth block, I taught an intro lesson to the ag business class. I had to leave at 12:30 for an interview and Mr. Anderson took over for the rest of the day. Students worked on vocabulary for the remainder of the block. In aquatics, he taught students the lesson I had planned.

            On Thursday, school was canceled for a snow day! I was happy in a way because I had a bad sinus infection and a rest to recuperate was much needed! Students were supposed to have a half day on Thursday and teachers had to stay the remainder of the day for parent teacher conferences. These ended up being canceled. On Friday, students did not have to come to school as the day was devoted to parent teacher conferences. The day started off with a two hour delay but school ended up being canceled. I still wasn’t feeling the best so another rest day was much appreciated.

            As I reflect on the week and look ahead to next week, I realize that flexibility is key. Even when you think you have everything planned out to a tee, plans can change at the drop of a hat. I am anxious for next week because it will be the first day I teach a full school day (no delays or early dismissals) of all three classes. I do not anticipate snow next week but I guess anything is possible. Students will be finishing up lap welds in ag mechanics and I will begin teaching about electricity. In aquatics, students will begin carrying out various water quality tests and measures. In ag business, I will finish up the intro to economics and begin moving into supply and demand. It should be another exciting week and I hope to get back into my routine of “normalcy!”

1 comment:

  1. Flexibility is important, and you are able to be flexible when you have a good plan. Always make sure you are ready with a "plan B". Planning is critical in making sure that you are providing the students with the best opportunities in their classroom and laboratory. And, yes... spring is on its way!

    ReplyDelete