Friday, March 13, 2015

Student Teaching High's and Low's

         I started off my ninth week of student teaching feeling refreshed and re-energized, despite daylight savings time over the weekend. I was anxious to get back to a more normal schedule, or at least one that wouldn’t be impacted by winter weather! I had a very busy and productive prep period as I prepared for the week. In ag mechanics second block, students finished welding t-joints. I practiced welding as well and showed good improvement from the beginning to the end of the block. In third block aquatics, I took my students to the aquatics lab where they completed water quality testing. Students tested the water in both of the fish tanks for the following measurements: pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, dissolved oxygen, and temperature. In intro to agribusiness, I took students to the greenhouse where they watered all of the plants. Afterwards, I taught an introductory lesson on economic systems and the history of economics. Students began working on a poster project in which they had to differentiate between three economic systems.

            Tuesday started off very somber and melancholy: on Monday afternoon, a middle school student was fatally struck by an automobile just down the road from the school. Teachers and faculty were briefed on how to handle the situation in the morning, as well as taking part in a debrief after school. Even though I did not have the student in class, it hit home for me because he was part of the school district. I remained strong for my students as some of them expressed hurt and emotions throughout the day. In ag mechanics, I taught an intro lesson on electricity. Students then completed a worksheet on material I taught. In aquatics, students created graphs from the data collected from testing the water quality in the aquatics lab fish tanks. Students then created notecards as a study tool for a vocab quiz the next day. In intro to agribusiness, students finished up their economic system posters. I then taught an intro lesson on supply and demand. To finish up class, students completed a worksheet on supply and demand that complimented their notes.
 

            On Wednesday, I had another great day teaching! I had a busy prep period as I prepared for the day. In ag mechanics, I taught another lesson on electricity and how it relates to welding. Students completed a corresponding worksheet. To finish up the class, I had students create a foldable on which they had to draw diagrams for AC current, DC-Electrode Negative current, and DC-Electrode Positive current. In aquatics, I taught a lesson on eutrophication. I showed an awesome video to introduce the lesson. After teaching, students had to create a visual depicting the process of eutrophication in at least five steps. To finish out the day, I taught a lesson on elasticity and shifts in supply and demand in ag business. Students completed a worksheet which reiterated information learned about supply and demand so far. Students then picked an agricultural product and created a supply and demand curve for that product over a recent timespan. It was interesting to watch students try to look up information on the iPads and then create the curve. I encouraged them to think rather than me give them the answers. This was a spur of the moment inquiry idea that turned out rather well!

            On Thursday, Mr. Anderson was out for curriculum writing all day on the new STEM course for next year. I taught all three classes while a substitute remained in the classroom. In ag mechanics, students watched a video on the creation of the gateway arch in Missouri. Students completed a corresponding worksheet to go along with it. In aquatics, I taught a lesson on wastewater treatment. Students then read an article about wastewater treatment plants and answered questions. In ag business, I taught a summarizing lesson on economics. Students had the remainder of the period to create a review game of their choice. I attended the Lancaster County Ag Teachers meeting Thursday evening with Mr. Anderson as well. I had a busy but fun day on Friday. I prepared sub plans for Monday and Tuesday because I will be attending SLLC. In ag mechanics, students cut metal for their c-clamp project. In aquatics, students cleaned fish tanks and completed an in class project relating to wastewater treatment. In ag business, students watered plants in the greenhouse before playing their review games.

            Overall, this was a roller coaster of a week. I was exposed to some tragic experiences in the beginning of the week, ones that I honestly never put much thought into as a student teacher. This week has taught me to expect the unexpected and realize what truly matters in life. Life is so short and precious. I realized that I cannot worry about things that aren’t in my control; there is a higher power for that. I also realized how much I care about the students I have been working with over the last 9 weeks. I am excited to continue teaching but am sad as I realize how quickly my time at Elizabethtown is going. I have had a great experience so far and can’t wait to see what the next week holds!

1 comment:

  1. Bryanna,

    What a week. Yes, it is always difficult when a school loses a student, and it is something that you need to expect at times. The best you can do is be there for the students and let them know that you care about them as individuals. Also, be aware of others that can help in these times, such as counselors. Just be there for the students.

    It is amazing how quickly your experience is going, but I look forward to seeing you in action again in just a few short weeks!

    - Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete