Thursday, March 26, 2015

Center for Professional Personnel Development Presents....Shady Maple!

            On Wednesday, March 25th, 2015, I attended a New and Beginning Teacher Dinner at the Shady Maple Smorgasboard in Lancaster County. There were over 30 guests present: student teachers, cooperating teachers, as well as regional teachers. I carpooled with Mr. Anderson, Mrs. Anderson, and their daughter. The meeting began at 5pm and lasted until about 8:30. Mr. Ron Frederick was in charge of running the meeting; I always enjoy seeing him out and about! After we signed in, we were able to begin eating. I had been to Shady Maple once before but I was much younger. I did not remember exactly how big the smorgasboard was but let’s just say I did not leave hungry!

            After everyone finished eating, we went around the room and carried out introductions. We were asked to bring a lesson, pamphlet, or something that our chapter/program uses to share with others. This was our “payment” for the meal. I brought the oil spill inquiry lesson I used in my aquatic resources class on the day that Dr. Ewing came for my first observation. I got some other great resources from fellow student teachers, cooperating teachers, and other ag teachers. One resource that stands out is a Briggs and Stratton informational packet that one of the teachers from Solanco handed out. It contained awesome resources for teachers including workshop information, instructional materials, and information for students. Mr. Frederick also provided resources and handouts as well.
 
            Aside from introductions, we also had to fill out a notecard anonymously. Mr. Frederick asked four questions throughout the night. He then read some of the notecards and answers that stood out to him. The first question asked us to explain the funniest thing that happened to us this school year. The second question allowed us to ask any question we wanted answered. The third question asked what type of workshop or professional development should be held in the region. The final question asked us to describe something we wish we would have known about this profession before entering the field. I thought this was an interesting activity which helped break up the night as well as add some entertainment and insight.

              Overall, I enjoyed the meal and meeting at Shady Maple last night. It was great to meet new teachers as well as catch up with familiar ones. I was also happy to reconnect with several of the student teachers who were in attendance. I had the opportunity to enjoy great food and fellowship with others in the profession. The meeting was more informal than I thought it was going to be but I feel that is needed every now and then. This was just another unique opportunity I had the chance to experience as a student teacher and maybe one day, I will get to experience a similar meeting as an actual ag teacher!



1 comment:

  1. These are the types of opportunities that I hope you continue to take advantage of throughout your career as an educator. These connections are what matter, and by building these networks, you can access great material/information from others in the profession.

    ReplyDelete