Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Visiting a Science Classroom: Forensic Chemistry Style!

        On Wednesday, January 28th, 2015, I observed a forensics chemistry class at Elizabethtown High School during first block. The class is taught by Mr. Scott Baylor. All I can say is I was blown away by the fact that forensics chemistry is offered in high school! I have never heard of a class of this proportion being offered at a high school level. I am super jealous of the students enrolled in the class! From my observation today, it is evident that Elizabethtown students are just as excited about the class as I was: the class had a very high enrollment. I was very attentive and focused during today's lesson and it felt like I was part of the class. After class, I thanked Mr. Baylor and told him I will definitely be back!

         Today's lesson focused on using microscopes. The objectives of the lesson were to identify parts of a microscope, learn how to properly use a microscope, and take five digital pictures using microscopes in the classroom. Mr. Baylor started off class with several brain teasers and jokes to gain student interest in the lesson. He showed a short video with five follow up questions to lead into the day's lesson. He taught about microscopes using a PowerPoint for roughly 20 minutes. Students were provided a packet of guided notes which they used to assist in taking notes and followed along with the lesson. After the PowerPoint, Mr. Baylor showed students actual microscopes in the classroom and demonstrated how to use them properly. The lesson finished up by allowing students to work with the microscopes in chosen groups.

           As I observed the lesson, I noticed that students were very focused and attentive throughout the lesson. Students were not holding side conversations, answered questions that Mr. Baylor asked, and laughed at his jokes as he told them. I also noticed that Mr. Baylor did not just "give away" all information to his students. He provided them background information but also facilitated learning as the lesson went on. He asked students thought provoking questions and allowed them to form some of their own conclusions. The class was well structured and it was evident that Mr. Baylor plans his lessons well. He often checked for comprehension and reviewed the objectives at the end of the lesson. He made information relatable and gave his students some freedom while practicing, something I know they appreciated.

           Mr. Baylor expressed clarity very well throughout the lesson. He was clear in his verbal directions and provided specific instructions. He was very enthusiastic throughout the lesson, something I admired. He cracked jokes, maintained student interest, and was just generally excited about the content. Despite all of his joking, Mr. Baylor was professional in his language and provision of material. Mr. Baylor expressed variability very well in his lesson, something I would like to model as I continue to teach. He demonstrated the importance of variability, especially with block scheduling. The lesson was very student centered. He provided students some information but allowed them to experiment with microscopes on their own. Mr. Baylor also exhibited with-it-ness by remaining enthusiastic while making the information relevant and relatable to students.

          Today's science classroom observation proved that while teachers teach different content, much of their delivery methods and overall structure of the class are the same. Mr. Baylor exhibited the six identified qualities of effective teachers as identified by Rosenshine and Furst. He maintained variability and enthusiasm, two qualities I find very important, especially with block scheduling. His students remained very interested in his class, something I strive to maintain as a student teacher. Mr. Baylor made information relevant to his students and gave them some freedom throughout the lesson. He also provided me with several resources involving wildlife forensics which I plan to incorporate in my classroom. Overall, this was a great observation and it reinforced the fact that teachers must maintain interest, practice variability, and ensure students are learning throughout the lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment