Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Micro-Teaching Produced Mega Results!

             I don’t even know where to begin when describing my micro-teaching experience the last three days other than amazing! In these three short days, I feel like I have gained so much confidence, insight, and understanding of what it truly means to be an agricultural educator! Not only did I have great time teaching one period for three days in a row, I was given so much crucial and important feedback from two of my fellow student teachers and a high school agriscience teacher in Juniata County, Pennsylvania. I feel like I have grown so much as a young pre-service teacher these last three days. Was the overall experience flawless? My gosh no! There were some “rough patches” along the way but I learned from them and continued on my journey as an upcoming student teacher!

            Ms. Hannah Harris, Mr. Toby Neal, and I traveled to East Juniata High School in Juniata County, Pennsylvania to micro-teach in three of Mrs. Courtney Booher’s agriscience classes over the last three days. Prior to actually micro-teaching, we had to select a group of three, choose one of the approved cooperating high schools, select a class, topic, and prepare three lessons. I chose to teach Mrs. Booher’s third period wildlife and fisheries science class which had twelve students enrolled. I prepared my three day unit on the Eastern Turkey. The class periods were 43 minutes long, almost double the 84 minute periods I am planning for student teaching in the spring. Our first observational visit occurred on Friday November 14th and we began teaching the following Monday.

             On Monday, I prepared my lesson on basic turkey anatomy and characteristics. I prepared a short PowerPoint, had students complete a short parts identification worksheet that I went over with them in class, and then let them practice using turkey calls for the remainder of class. I thought the first day went fairly well but there is always room for improvement. I was somewhat nervous as it was my first time actually teaching in front of a classroom. I talked too fast as I went over the
information in my PowerPoint. This was noted in my feedback from Mrs. Booher. She also suggested that I explain why the bellwork was used and use it to lead into the lesson. Some other feedback included using proximity control when teaching and moving throughout the room. Mrs. Booher as well as my peers noted that it was evident that I know the material; I just need to be confident when teaching it!

            I feel that Tuesday was by far my best day micro-teaching. My lesson was about the lifecyle and breeding season of turkeys. I started off class with another short PowerPoint. I then had students complete a worksheet answering questions about turkey breeding seasons and life cycles. Afterwards, I had students create a poster summarizing the lifecycle of a turkey in at least four steps. I chose several students to stand up and explain their poster as class time was winding down. I was surprised by this activity because some of the boys in the back who I thought weren’t paying attention ending up having some of the most accurate and creative posters! My feedback for this day was much better. I took Mrs. Booher’s advice from Monday and put it to use: I walked around the classroom as I taught; I interacted with students as they worked, and overall I was more confident. She suggested posing more questions in class and speaking louder when instructing.

           Wednesday’s lesson was not my personal best. The lesson started off on the wrong foot as the video camera failed to record properly. I started teaching and a few minutes into my presentation, realized I forgot to have my students complete bellwork. This threw me off and I let it get the best of me. After I was done teaching, I had students complete a summarizing quiz on information I taught to them over the last three days. A few minutes into the quiz, I allowed students to use their notes as a reward for taking good notes and following directions. Students completed a learner satisfaction form which provided me feedback as I prepare for student teaching. To finish out class, I had students create hand turkeys and write down three things they were thankful for since Thanksgiving is next
week. I planned too much time for students to take the quiz in my lesson plan, which required me to think on my feet; this is where the hand turkey idea came in. Some feedback I was provided included variety in my lessons, working on timing as I teach and prepare lessons, and continue to use questioning as I teach.

             Overall, micro-teaching was an amazing experience that provided me with so much critical feedback! This experience has proved to me that I made the right decision by following my heart and choosing to become an agricultural educator. I have learned that I put entirely too much pressure on myself and things go so much more smoothly when I am confident. I took the suggestions and feedback provided to me and used it the following day. By the last day of micro teaching, I was walking around the room, teaching without relying on the PowerPoint, and asking good transition questions to my students. That being said, I believe there is always room for improvement. I need to work on timing as I prepare lessons, talk slower as I present information, and just let my warm personality shine through as I teach. This experience has truly been impactful and I cannot wait to student teach in January!

2 comments:

  1. Great reflection! As I was reading, I noticed quite a few things that you and I have in common while teaching. I, too, need to utilize questioning more (this has always been one of my weakest areas!) I also tend to over-plan and am often too hard on myself. Another similarity that I noticed is that we both planned for our activities to take longer than they actually did. When this happened for me, I had no idea what to do. I slightly began to panic, and then decided that going over their answers to the worksheet would be my best option. Although I was extremely frustrated when this happened to me, I am glad that I had this experience so I know to have a "filler" activity in mind for all of my lessons. It sounds like you had a good filler activity, which I am sure students enjoyed.I know that as we gain experience teaching, our teaching styles and our lessons will continue to evolve. You're off to a great start as a teacher... keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flexibility is key at times! Having a great plan allows us to "flex" from the plan as circumstances dictate!

    ReplyDelete