Thursday, October 16, 2014

Figuring Out How to Teach a Problem Solving Lesson

             In AEE 412 lab this week, I presented a 20 minute problem solving lab. We as student teacher candidates were required to create and present a lesson using one of the problem solving techniques we learned about in class on Monday: fork-road problem, possibilities-factor problem, situation to be improved, or effect-cause. I chose the situation to be improved technique for the lesson I would be teaching. The context for this lesson was in the aquatic resources class I will be teaching in the spring in the PA aquatic life unit. The background of my lesson was that a developer wanted to come in to a small town and develop an area where an endangered salamander species was found. The students had to identify stakeholders and factors in the issue and determine how a decision should be made, which was the situation to be improved.

             Before I dig into my actual reflection, I must begin by saying that this was the first lab where I was not nervous to stand up in front of my peers, Mrs. Rice, or the video camera in the back of the classroom! This was such a huge step for me! I would always sike myself out before lab, get all worked up, and then my lab performance would be hindered because of it. That being said, I still have some work to do as far as my lab performance. I know that I need to have more command in front of the classroom and I must also let my personality and enthusiasm shine through.

              I understand that this is a process and I will not become a great teacher overnight. I feel that I have taken another step in this process by not letting my nerves get the best of me. The next step is to show my personality and enthusiasm when teaching. I feel that it is important that I am recognizing that this is a process and things will happen in steps rather than all at once. I often found myself wishing that I could just snap my fingers and instantly become a better teacher. Sadly, I can’t. I must grow and develop as a young professional and I feel that I am well on my way! I also still find myself saying um a lot but I am working on it! I catch myself doing it when I talk, typically when I am starting to tell a story or provide an explanation. Since I have recognized this bad habit, I am continuing to improve upon it.

              One thing that I feel I do well in lab is preparation and planning. The lesson plans and accompany materials I have turned in are detailed and organized. I feel that this shows the time and effort I put into planning. Preparation is something I take very seriously, a good habit that I will carry with me into my future career. I sometimes fear that I “over plan” or provide too much detail that I try to memorize when teaching my lesson. However, I feel that I have combatted this issue by not attempting to memorize what I have written on my lesson plan word for word. I know the material and must speak from my mind while ensuring to ask important questions that are included in my lesson plans.

             Overall, I feel that I am slowly but surely improving in lab. Through reflection, identification of what went well, and recognizing areas to improve upon, I know that I will continue to improve my teaching. I have no doubt that I will continue to make improvements, big or small, and will feel confident to student teach in three months!

8 comments:

  1. Really nice reflection, Bry! I feel like I am improving, as well. I think that the more we all practice, the more improvements we will see. It is great that you can recognize and be proud of your strengths, but it is also important that you are able to reflect on your weaknesses, which you do nicely in this post. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bry, I noticed you were more relaxed this week for sure. I am glad you can push that behind you and focus more on presentation of materials. Just remember that we are all in the same boat! We are all a little nervous and that is natural!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bry, Being comfortable in front of others is a huge stepping stone considering that will be an every day occurrence in your job upon graduation. Planning and preparing are a great way to be one step ahead and ready to go. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bry, I'm glad you had your "ah-ha" moment! I still get a little nervous in front of the room. I think your confidence in planning is great! I know you work really hard to stay on top of things which is a great quality. Knowing the material is a tough task because of the wide arrange of topics ag teachers cover, but I agree its important to know what you are teaching not read off a lesson plan, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bry - I am very happy to read that you were more comfortable. I think this is a great step! I also believe that allowing yourself to truly shine through will make a HUGE impact! Your interest approach was great talking about the salamanders and the developers. One can assume that your students were upset and thus had a vested interest as soon as they connected the pieces. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bry its great that you are becoming more comfortable in front of the class. As for the over planning, I never see that as a bad thing, the more prepared you are the more relaxed you can be while engaging with your students. The um's and awkward pauses I to struggle with at times, but these are things that will dissipate with time and knowledge, you know 5- 10 years of teaching. Just kidding... keep up the great work its sound like you can really see yourself developing as an educator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy for you!! It's great to hear that you've breached the hump of becoming a nervous rabbit before lab. Remember how it felt before, during, and after? That's what you need to do every time. Now, you know you can. Keep up the work and paving the way for the cohort. You're going to do great things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bry! Great reflection! I also used to get really nervous for lab but I have finally got to the point where I'm more nervous about my content being the best it can be and not being nervous to present! I think the more you teach in front of a group, your enthusiasm and personality will shine! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete