Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Hooking Students with Interest Approaches!

           In AEE 412 lab this week, I prepared my lesson around an interest approach that I had to deliver in class. I chose to carry out an interest approach for a lesson in my aquatic resources class. The unit was water calculations and the lesson was titled: How much water is used in the U.S. per day? There was an allotted 5-10 minutes to carry out the bellwork, interest approach, and learning objectives for the day. Similar to our last lab, each of my fellow classmates were given a role playing card and had to role play the assigned student for the duration of lab.

           Our lessons were again videotaped and then sent to each student to review and reflect upon. I just finished watching my video and I feel that lab went about as expected for me. My interest approach lab fell short of the 5 minute mark, which was slightly disappointing. Watching my video, I know I still have a lot I can improve upon. That being said, I do not want to beat myself up over my performance today. Instead of bringing myself down and being so hard on myself, I want to reflect on my time in lab and work to improve my future lab performances. I want to view this as a positive learning experience.

            I didn’t feel that my total lab experience was a bust. I feel like I have a warm and friendly presence in the classroom. I feel like I make my students feel comfortable and know that they are in a friendly, inviting learning environment. This is my hope for my future classroom. I also did a better job with my objectives in this lab. I had them posted and went over them at the end of class, which is an improvement from my previous lab. I also noticed that I did not say “um” or “uh” as much as in previous labs which was a plus!

           On the other hand, I know I still have improvements to make. For this lab, I feel like my interest approach was more interesting and engaging as I was writing it out and planning it for my lesson compared to when I actually presented it. I noticed that I should interact with students more while they are doing their bellwork rather than standing at the front of the room. I think I made slight improvements since my previous labs but there is still room for improvements. I also noticed that I need to work on my transitions. They weren’t as smooth in this lab and I must continue to work on them.

           After reviewing and reflecting on my interest approach lab, I know that I still have my work cut out for me. I know that I won’t become a great teacher overnight. It will take time, patience, and lots of practice. I find the thereNow videos very beneficial and I am glad I have the opportunity to watch my lab presentations. I still get a little nervous standing up in front of my peers and teaching but I know I have come a long way. I need to stop being so hard on myself before lab and just stand up there and teach! I need to have more confidence in myself and be more enthusiastic. I love the material I am teaching and just need to let that passion shine through! As the semester progresses, it is my hope that my lab performance and reflection will advance as well.

5 comments:

  1. I love your positive attitude Bry! I agree that the thereNow videos are really beneficial and that we just need to be patient and keep practicing! One of the things I like to do is run my ideas past someone who isn't an agriculture major and see if they think it is as exciting as I do. Keep up the hard work and keep being you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bry, I agree with Laura - I love your positivity! I know it can be really easy for all of us to feel the stress and react negatively, but you seem to be doing a good job at avoiding this. I too have to improve my level of interaction with my students, especially while they are working on assignments which I would not have noticed as much with the thereNow videos, they really are helpful! Overall I think you seem to have a good handle on what you're doing well and where you can improve. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bry it sounds like you are growing tremendously from the lab experiences which is awesome. I also find it challenging to patiently wait while students complete bell work, I think that in a real classroom it would be a great time to take attendance so this issue wouldn't be there. Its awesome that your are reflecting on both the positive and needs improvement categories, as you continue to grow and stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bry!!! I'm so glad you were able to find the positive aspect of your lab performance! It looks like the lab experience has really been beneficial to you! I'm so excited for you. Seeing how positive you are helps me to remain just as positive about the coursework. Especially since I'm on the struggle bus. Keep up the good work! I know you'll be an awesome teacher! Especially when you teach environmental education. Boy you are a wiz at that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "You can't appreciate the Good days without the Bad ones" I think you positive attitude towards your lesson shows that you are passionate about teaching and your gonna do great! We will all have those days were our 100% didn't make it to class, things didn't go as well, or students didn't react the way you expected. And we can't let those bad days make the good days seem gloomy. I think you personality would lead you to be a very warm and positive presence and I am sure that flows through when you are in the front of the classroom. Being warm and open is important so students can always open up and ask questions. I am sure with all of us as we gain confidence our "filler" words will leave our vocabulary. Great reflection Bry! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete